Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Union Bar and Grille, South End, Boston, MA

Last weekend Ana and I decided to give the Aquitaine Group another chance after our subpar experience at Metropolis. Union Bar and Grill is this cool looking place on Washington St. that has been on our list for a while and we decided to pay them a visit and give their brunch menu a try. Their location makes them a perfect stop on your way to the SoWa market on a sunny Sunday afternoon. That was our plan, so we did not think twice about going to Union.

The first thing that must be said about this establishment is that they offer a great deal for brunch on Saturdays and early on Sundays. For 9.95 you can get you belly full of food and enjoy all the coffee that you might need. Sadly, we went there late and were confronted with the whole (full price) brunch menu.


The atmosphere of this place is relaxed, although a bit dark. Something like a mix between a steakhouse and a trendy spot in the Meat Packing district in NYC. Confusing but pleasant. Their menu seems quite complete and comprises different types of omelets, burgers, salads and eggs. I went with my usual Eggs Benedict while Ana tried the Union Breakfast. We woke up progressively while drinking coffee and  half Orange half Grapefruit Juice.



Ana's dish consisted of 3(!) Eggs over-easy with Ham, toast and home fries. I though it looked quite good. The potatoes, in particular, were tasty and oven cooked. They had a very comfortable homemade flavor. My Eggs Benedict were pretty basic and decent, although the portion was small. This was not a problem, however. After finishing most of my potatoes and my first Egg I discovered the second one was seriously undercooked. I pointed this out to our server who tried unsuccessfully to argue that poached meant undercooked.
Why would she do that!!?? No point in having a pointless discussion when you are going to replace the dish anyways. And this, she did. I got another full plate with a huge portion of potatoes and two perfectly cooked new Eggs. After that I was happy and I could barely walk out of the place, :). Luckily, we were just a couple of blocks from the SoWa market, where I could stroll leisurely while digesting my double Benedict serving.

Union turned out to be a fun place that helped us make peace with our Aquitaine friends. We will keep the place in mind next time we visit SoWa.

No comments:

Post a Comment