Thursday, April 21, 2011

Superette, Cape Town, South Africa

My friend Catherine, who was the first "guest" in our Quest for the Perfect Brunch wanted to make sure my visit to Cape Town would not go off-the-record. So, she took me to Superette, a cool, trendy and worth of NYC's Soho cafe located in the up and coming neighborhood of Woodstock, one of Cape Town's oldest suburbs (about 4km from the city centre).

In South Africa, brunch happens on Saturdays, and Superette makes sure you start your weekend with a breakfast that is all about eggs (boiled, poached, scrambled, fried), French toasts and delicious -albeit too strong for my
taste!- coffee. Accordingly, Catherine and I both had a variation of the same dish (although the menu was extensive and creative; by no means our boring choices should discourage you to visit!- such a pity that they don't post the menus online, as I don't remember the other options...): eggs (fried for me; boiled for her), butter-goldened toast and meat (moist and tender bacon for her; peppered ham for me), with a side of arugula (rocket for the locals) lightly dressed with vinaigrette and peppercorns. By now maybe you realized I actually ordered a Croque Madame (so there was also cheese in it), which they very kindly brought without the Bechamel sauce, despite a large sign asking for no changes in the orders as the kitchen was too small and busy
to fulfill all requests. All this was brought in the cutest plates, with hand-painted phrases and drawings on them...

To summarize, the food was really good. In addition, the space is sunny, there are complimentary newspapers, the staff is friendly but non-intrusive and the general atmosphere invites one to relax and enjoy the weekend. I have not been to other brunches in Cape Town, but I have blind faith in Catherine's good taste and gastronomic expertise; if she says this is the perfect Cape brunch, it probably is.



No comments:

Post a Comment