Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Brunch at a Classic Diner: Lou Mitchell's, Chicago, IL

As we documented last week, our friend Fernando visited Boston for a few days and we took him out for Brunch while he was here. He left for Chicago on Friday and was going to spend the weekend there with another friend of ours, Agustin. I had to go to Indiana on a business trip so I decided I would join them in the windy city for the weekend, relax and sample the Brunch scene over there. I said goodbye to Ani, who stayed in the Boston area, and seems not to have gone out for Brunch :( and off I went to Chicago.

I made arrangement to meet up with Fernando for Brunch on Saturday. I've been to Chicago many times and I wanted to take him to a Classic place. I instantly thought of Lou Mitchell's. This is a living monument to the Classic Diner in America, located just where historic Route 66 begins. What's even more important is that, in contrast with most other surviving diners out there, food here has remained high quality and fun for the last 85 years. Although the place has a long a distinguished history, I am ashamed to say that Ani (and I, as a natural consequence) heard about it for the first time two or three years ago when they were visited by the Top Chef TV show.

The procedure to visit Lou Mitchell's is by now standard. Drive to the West Loop in Chicago, just a few blocks from the famous Sears Tower. Drive by the main entrance and attempt to find the dream parking spot just there. Fail. Drive around the block and find a lucky spot on Jefferson St. Remember to be there early. They close at 3pm and there is a line most days. If you find a line do not worry, things move fast and while you wait you will be offered to taste their awesome donut holes sparkled with the right amount of powdered sugar. While Fernando and I did not find a line this time, we made sure we gave the donut holes a try before taking a seat. Delicious as ever.

The atmosphere inside is great and it seems like the place looks the same way it did 50 years ago. The first thing you notice when you sit down is the home made grape jelly and orange marmalade. Don't expect high end english delicacies! They are just goooooood! The other interesting detail is that as soon as your server takes your order they bring over a small plate with a slice of grapefruit and a small baked prune.

Fernando ordered one of their signature dishes: an Omelette served in a skillet with house potatoes. That's just bliss in a plate... well, skillet.   As I entered the restaurant I noticed they had an Eggs Benedict special. I decided to be adventurous and give it a try. It's always a good idea to be suspicious of diner Eggs Benedict. It's never quite right and the Hollandaise sauce could be a time bomb waiting to go off in your stomach... Nonetheless, I decided to live dangerously. The bet payed off. Although the Hollandaise was not fancy New York delicate, it was tasty and hearty. The eggs where perfectly cooked (although a little small for some reason) and the plate also included house potatoes. If I add to that the toast I stole from Fernando's dish, you can certainly call it a full Brunch meal.

Lou Mitchell's might not be a hip high end place in Manhattan but if you find yourself visiting Chicago and want to take a stroll down memory lane in old Route 66, you will not be disappointed by the tasty comfort food of the Classic American Diner.

No comments:

Post a Comment