Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Brunch at Olsen, Buenos Aires style

Hello, brunch enthusiasts! This is your other host in this attempt to find the perfect brunch. Even though I think we should discuss the theoretical basis for brunch in detail, I decided that my first posting should be about a particular brunch experience. We'll get to the fundamentals in a future posting.
During the last couple of weeks I've spent some time in my home town: Buenos Aires, Argentina. Although brunch culture is not dominant there (yet...), there are a few places that offer the possibility to indulge in this God given right. Most of them are located in the area of Palermo and Olsen is my favorite. The highlights of this establishment are the peaceful zen like decor and the argentine-nordic fusion culinary creations. I have to say that every time I visit Buenos Aires I make it my duty to spend some time chilling in their relaxing atmosphere while sipping wonderful drinks. So this is what I did, with my friend Anastasia, last week.
Let's get to the low down. Their brunch menu offers many options for brunch, including Pork Bondiola (if you don't know what this is, you'd better start googling...), Yogurt and Cereals and, my favorite, home-made Salmon Lox. The picture above shows an open Salmon Lox on top of Scrambled Eggs Sandwich. It was, as always, delicious. Not to be forgotten are the remarkable Papas Rotas (broken potatoes). According to Ani, these are just reason enough to visit Olsen. I agree: you would have a hard time finding any form of potato based side dish in any US brunch serving establishment that compares to them.
Even though Buenos Aires does not seem like the place to go on your Quest for the Perfect Brunch, you'd be mistaken not to spend some hours (days, weeks, etc...) enjoying life and food at Olsen in a brunch state of mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment